Sunday, June 28, 2009

At Eighty-Six

This poem, written by Thomas Robertson was published in the newspaper - there is a rather old and tattered cut out in my possession.

At Eighty Six

I've had a long and healthy life
And had my share of care and strife
Tho' fate has played me scurvy tricks
Yet still I'm gay at eighty-six.

Our lives consist of strange contrasts
Bright sunny blinks and wintery blasts
For joy and sorrow mingling mix
Still, life is sweet at eighty six.

A lightsome heart gives zest to things,
And often consolation brings,
To soothe the wounds that time inflicts
And savour gives at eighty-six.

In truth, methinks it is but meet
We should with smile our troubles greet
And every laugh and joke annex,
And cheerful be at eighty-six.

The rosy dawn of each new day
Shall light and guide us on our way
So stoutly kick against the pricks
In bold resolve at eighty-six.

Away with pessimistic moods;
My ban on he who sullen broods,
On hope's bright star your vision fix
And stand elate at eighty-six.

L'en voi-
Charon may wait with ready oar,
To waft me to the farther shore,
But I'm too young to think of Styx
For life is joy at eighty-six.

1 comment:

cathytree said...

Megan, not sure if this will reach you as old thread but just to say how wonderful to find all this research on our mutual ancestry! Thank you so much.
Best wishes,
Jane (Barbara's daughter) in York, UK